Thursday 14 October 2010

Gutted x2!!!!

Gutted - part1.

Well, today was d-day!! Decision time for whether I will be fit enough to take part in the Gosport Half Marathon...

Short answer: I am not :o(

Long answer: My plan for this race was to go sub 1:25 and to succeed at this target I would need at least 4-5 good, solid weeks of run-focussed training under my belt. However, after picking up a calf injury at my last race I gave myself at least 10 days of rest, icing and massage to try and speed up the healing process but after trying a little run today (OK, 30 minutes may not have been the best idea...), my calf didn't really want to know!!! OK, so it wasn't very sore but after 10 minutes it started to get tight so I stopped and stretched and did a bit of self-massage (to the calf, pleeeeeaaaase.....) and this eased it a bit but it soon started to get tight again so I knew that I had come back a little early and it needs more time, so I decided to pull the plug on the half mara there and then...

Gutted - part 2.

I was having major issues with my TT shifters on my new bike at the 'OneLastTri'. They would shift down but when you wanted to change up, you literally were pulling the whole bar up to do so!!!
Took it to my LBS and they have taken the shifters off and without the cable in, they move up and down freely but when the cables are in them, the are as stiff as a stiff thing!!
So, they do not think it is the shifters themselves causing the problem but in the internal cable routing... If this is the issue, I don't where I will stand with it being fixed? I have only used it probably three times so that is not a good ROI!!! I'll await the final verdict from the shop and then I may have to get back to Jamie from Blue???

5 comments:

Turbo Man said...

In my experience calf problems require complete rest; good job it's the end of the season.

Not good news on the bike front and not a great advert for Blue bikes I'm afraid. I hope you get it sorted as it seems like it's a quick beast.

James Peet said...

I've had similar issues with mine. Are you using Gore Rideon sealed cables? Bet that's the first thing Jamie will ask. ;)

Andy said...

Cheers for replies chaps, only just logged back in...

Calf is feeling better now Mick - might try that little thingy you have just taken up again, it's called running ;o)

I'd have to say Mick, that I always seem to have issues with bikes no matter what brand - must just be me!! However, I will have to say that Jamie at Blue has been outstanding in his customer service and I like to give credit where it is due. That reminds me, better send back that spare fork he sent me...

Jim, I used Jagwires to cable up my Blue - don't whether these are Gore Rideon sealed? The lbs stripped the inners out and then re-greased with DA grease (didn't know that you could get Dura ace grease ;o)) and they seem to be shifting pretty well now. Haven't taken Bluey (unimaginative name, I know!!) out for a proper blast since but it felt OK going up and down the road... How is your SL doing - still cracking out those ridiculously fast times on it???

James Peet said...

I flodded mine with GT85 and it seemed to do the job. Cables must have got corroded with sweat, energy drink, rain penetrated the sleeves.

Anyhow, the gore cable inners have their own plastic sleeves so they're protected from corrosion even without the main cable outer sleeve. Not cheap but hassle free once fitted.

Yeah, very pleased with my SL. A couple of easily fixed minor niggles with back brake and bars but I love it. Rolls very well and it really stiff in the bottom bracket which you can really notice climbing in the saddle.

Andy said...

I guess thats really the same what the lbs did - cover the cable in lube (pardon the pun...). Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens over the next few months once I have had some time on it on the turbo? Just did a quick spin and they seem OK, only time will tell..

That back brake was a real PITA to set up!! Changed the way the cable fed into it to make it work properly!!

Well, I have had one ride in anger and got the fastest bike split, so pretty happy with that :o) Still got chicked though - twice!!!