Thursday 18 November 2010

Shoes, shoes, shoes...

I have been trying to move slowly to a more minimalist shoe for a while now and it has been going pretty well.

It started off way before the build up to IM Austria this year and I even had a pair of Newtons when they first came out (look at me, what a trend setter ;o)), although it didn't really work out at the time as like a lot of us triathletes, just wanted to look good and not follow the reccomended build up period - ended up with very, very sore calves :o(

So, with this little bit of experience in mind I have built up slowly this time and well over a year ago I changed from the Asics 2100 series to their DS Trainers. When I initially got them on I thought I'd never be able to run a marathon in them but I took my time and my feet and lower extremities adjusted - I did experience sore calves but with regular massage and eccentric strengthening this abated.

With regards to minimal, the DS Trainers aren't really in that category but they are a stepping stone. I am not sure what their heel to toe drop is but I would hazard a guess that it is over 12mm? I completed IMA in them and it was time for the change...

After some post IMA rest, I was ready to make the step and go even further into minimal foray - not the whole hog as I still believe that we do need some protection on the feet, especially in todays age of running on pavements that are littered with rubbish, glass, dog poo poo (fake or real - Top Secret fans will know what I mean ;o)) or whatever.... I was going to go for the Newton Distance shoe (the neutral one) as I had tried them on at Ten-Point with help from Helen and Robin there but they didn't have my size and after a call and a no response email I decided against it. Even though the real reason I guess, was the price tag!!!

So, after a no-no on the Newtons I was looking for something else??? The hunt was now on....

I had been looking at many shoes and was just getting myself a bit confused, do I go the whole and go for something with a drop of less than 5mm or still keep adjusting and get something with around a 10mm drop - I just couldn't decide? So as luck would have it, I was up at the London triathlon watching a friend and also having a weekend away with the wife when I saw that PureTri were doing the Brooks T6 for a very price :o) I was amazed at how light these were - comparing them to my DS's, they seemed like carpet slippers - didn't even want to compare them to my old 2140's!!! I tried them on, had a quick run and bought them, there and then...

I have been happy with them but my legs have been getting pretty tired after running in them - any run of about 7-8 miles seems to really bring on the fatigue, whether this is the shoes or just my technique, who knows? And also, after a bit of research they still have quite a subsequent drop to them - not really in the minimal/barefoot mould at 13mm.... Even though they are as light as a feather :o)

So, I have been looking for another alternative and these were what I tried:

Saucony Kinavara - this was an OK shoe but had some fit issues and it felt as though there a few seams inside the shoe that would rub on me? This was a good shoe though I'll admit... Very well cushioned and with only a 4mm drop, it would have been an ideal shoe I think for the longer runs? Maybe a half size up would have been better?

K-Swiss Blade Run - I liked this shoe. It stood out, had some good design features but I just felt it was too heavy!!! I reckon that once you have run in something like the T6, then you are probably never going to go back to something a bit heavier??? The drop was 10mm, so not ideal but another good stepping stone. I could possibly re-visit this as a winter and or, a longer distance training shoe???

Nike Lunaracer - this was interesting.... For one, I needed a half size up when I went to try it on so I couldn't really get to good run in this one as it was just tooooooo tight!! I could though, see why people like this. It was very well cushioned, had a drop of 8mm (I think?) and was light but after an impossible search of trying to find a place that had the right size in stock, I gave up on this!!

Adidas Aidzero Ace - As with the lunaracer, the shop I tried these on didnt have the half size up that I needed!! This had a pretty firm sole to it and I am not sure that I could have got away with it for longer distance runs? Again, I think this has a pretty good drop to it???

The finally...

The Asics Hyperspeed 4's - These were lush (pardon the Vicky Pollard!!!).... Very comfy, low drop (5mm) and cheap, what more could I ask for!!! As you can guess, I got a pair.

My first run was in them today. It was an easy hours run (probably a little too far for a first one with a drop as low as 5mm?) with some drills and technique work thrown in... First impressions were very good but then I hit the first bend in the road and I felt as though my whole foot was starting to fall inwards!!! I was not expecting that!! This was occuring on every bend and I was having to watch myself that I didn't go over on it... On the flat, they felt very good, I had the odd twinge as the run went on and the calves were a little sore after but I was kinda expecting that but I have been a bit put off by lack of toe box at the front... That is the problem when you try a shoe on at a shop on just a treadmill - you only go in one direction and can never test it properly!!! I guess that was just my bad??? I am not giving up on these because they have some very good points to them but I will just have to be a bit carefill in them...

Still gonna keep on looking for others though - seems to be my favourite hobby at the moment ;o)

As my mate said the other day "You've got more trainers than Imelda Marcos has shoes"... And he's probably right :o)

1 comment:

Turbo Man said...

Any updates you lazy wazzock?